Adware.SpecialSearchOffer is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a family of browser hijackers that change the search settings of affected browsers.
Type and source of infection
Adware.SpecialSearchOffer is usually installed by bundlers. Typically, it comes as a browser extension on the affected system. The extension changes the default search engine of the affected browser and changes it to a search site that redirects to Yahoo search, while adding sponsored results.
Malwarebytes blocks Adware.SpecialSearchOffer by using real-time protection.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Adware.SpecialSearchOffer without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.