PUM.Optional.ConnectionControlRestriction is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a potentially unwanted modification (PUM)in the Windows registry where users are prevented from accessing the Connectionstab in Internet Explorer. Typically, browser hijackers alter this setting to hide the changes they made to the users’ connection.
The following registry value data are modified:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
Malwarebytes can modify these registry values data back to their Windows default settings without user interaction.Also, we advise users to do a full system scan as PUM.Optional.ConnectionControlRestriction could have been added to the system by malwareor a PUP.
Add an exclusion
When a Potentially Unwanted Modification (PUM)is detected on your computer, Malwarebytes for Windowsdoes not know whether it was authorized. Optimization software, malware, and Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) are known to make these types of changes, hence they are regarded as potentially unwanted by design.To have Malwarebytes for Windowsignore a PUM, you must add the PUM to the Allow list. Here’s how to do it.
- When a PUM appears in the list of Scan results.
- Uncheck the entry or entries related to the PUM.
- Then click on Next.
- You will see a prompt giving you several options.
- Choosing Always ignorewill add the PUM to the Allow List.
- You can remove them there when you decide they should no longer be ignored.
- When the PUM is on the Allow listit will no longer show up in your Scan results.