RiskWare.MicTray is Malwarebytes' detection name for a keylogger that can be found in certain HP audio drivers.
Users of an affected system may see a Scheduled Task starting MicTray64.exe or MicTray.exe.
Source and type of infection
Riskware, in general, is a detection for items that are not strictly malicious but pose some risk for the user in another way. The keylogger is part of the driver set for Conexant audio chips and could come pre-installed on some HP systems or could have been added later as part of a separate driver installation. The program monitors all keystrokes made by the user to capture and react to functions such as microphone mute/unmute keys/hotkeys.
Malwarebytes blocks Riskware.MicTray
Malwarebytes can detect and remove RiskWare.MicTray without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
Should users wish to keep this program and exclude it from being detected in future scans, they can add the program to the exclusions list. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
- Click the Detection History
- Click the Allow List
- To add an item to the Allow List, click Add.
- Select the exclusion type Allow a file or folder and use the Select a folder button to select the main folder for the software that you wish to keep.
- Repeat this for any secondary files or folder(s) that belong to the software.
If you want to allow the program to connect to the Internet, for example to fetch updates, also add an exclusion of the type Allow an application to connect to the internet
and use the Browse
button to select the file you wish to grant access.
C:\Windows\System32\MicTray64.exe or C:\Windows\System32\MicTray.exe