Trojan.FBSpammer is Malwarebytes' detection name for a family of Firefox extensions that are designed to spam Facebook groups.
Users of affected systems may notice a Firefox extension that is called Page Update and the corresponding .xpi file has a random name consisting of capital characters and underscores.
Users may also notice posts made on their behalf on Facebook groups they did not join themselves.
Type and source of infection
Trojan.FBSpammer is a Firefox extension that joins multiple Facebook groups and starts posting in them on behalf on the victim.
Trojan.FBSpammer is installed from websites that offer it as a Flash update.
Both the Web protection module and the Malwarebytes browser extension block the websites pushing this malicious extension.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Trojan.FBspammer without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get startedbutton.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
How to remove Trojan.FBspammer with the Malwarebytes Nebula console
You can use the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Nebula console to scan endpoints.
Nebula endpoint tasks menu
Choose the Scan + Quarantine option. Afterwards you can check the Detections page
to see which threats were found.
On the Quarantine page
you can see which threats were quarantined and restore them if necessary.
Extension name examples: