Virus. is a category of Malwarebytes’ detections that applies to malware that has the ability to self-replicate. To learn more about viruses, read our related blog content.
Type and source of infection
A virus is a piece of code that is capable of copying itself in order to do damage to your computer, including corrupting your system or destroying data. Potentially, computer systems can be infected with viruses in many of the same ways that they can be infected with other malware, but in recent years there have been very few real viruses in the wild.
Malwarebytes protects users from virus infections by using real-time protection.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Virus infections without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
Take note, however, that removing a virus does not always get you the original files back. You can only get your files back from backups you made before the infection happened. Or you may have to install damaged programs and software. If the infection has been present long it may even be necessary to backup your non-executable files and format the drives, so you can start from scratch.