Virus.Renamer is Malwarebytes' detection name for a virusthat also displays worm-like behavior by copying itself to network shares. It also downloads and installs other malwareon infected systems.The virus renames legitimate files and hides them. It then takes the place of those files.
Malwarebytes blocks Virus.Renamer
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Virus.Renamer without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytesto your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exeand follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windowsinstallation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantineto remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
Malwarebytes can not retrieve the original, renamed and hidden files. You may want to run the Windows System File Checker after the removal has been done.
How to remove Virus.Renamer with the Malwarebytes Nebula console
You can use the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Nebula console to scan endpoints.
Nebula endpoint tasks menu
Choose the Scan + Quarantine option. Afterwards you can check the Detections page
to see which threats were found.
On the Quarantine page
you can see which threats were quarantined and restore them if necessary.