You might not be aware of this but Anti-Malware and antivirus software gets tested every year along with other similar security software. The purpose of these tests is to identify which product is the best at detecting malware. This process involves a third party organization using up-to-date versions of the software and running them all against the same malware. Many times this involves testing against older malware. However, MRG Effitas, uses Zero-Day malware to perform their tests and included Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on the list of tested applications!
Average detection rate in MRG Effitas Flash Test Project 2012 (Zero Hour- up to 1 hour ITW)[caption id="attachment_272" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Image obtained from: http://www.mrg-effitas.com[/caption]
Average detection rate in MRG Effitas Flash Test Project 2012 (Zero Day – up to 6 hours ITW)[caption id="attachment_271" align="aligncenter" width="300"] Image obtained from: http://www.mrg-effitas.com[/caption]
So why are we so excited about coming up in the top 5? Well there are a few reasons:
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not intended to be used as the sole protection for a system; therefore, to outdo most of the products that are designed specifically for that purpose is quite an achievement.
- Our team is small and agile, writing malware definitions and sending them out to the user. Other companies that did not do as well as we did, have larger teams and even larger resources.
- Some of the companies who scored higher than us block more than just malicious files, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware definitions have been designed to detect and remove the malware without taking away from the user experience.
- Where we stand this year is an improvement from last year’s test. This means that we are only getting better at what we do and you can expect us to continue this trend.
- In addition, Malwarebytes only uses its own, custom built malware detection engine which is included with every instance of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
We definitely want to share the credit with our users and loyal community, without them we would not be here. Malwarebytes was born of the community continues to be part of it as long as we exist. We promise to continue doing whatever we can to protect, inform and educate whoever seeks to keep the internet a safe place. Read my blog “Malwarebytes Wants You” to find out how you can join the fight against malware and bring Malwarebytes up to #1.