Adware.DownloadAssistant is Malwarebytes’ generic detection name for several families of adware that are marketed as download assistants. One of these families is detected by other vendors as Adware.Adrozek.
Users of affected systems will see unsollicited advertisements and may see unexpected entries in their search results.
Type and source of infection
Adware.DownloadAssistant usually comes in the form of browser hijackers, meaning that they will alter the browsers’ behvior or settings to lead the user to their advertisements. Adware.DownloadAssistant can be installed by bundlers or offered to users as software to speed up or keep track of their downloads.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Adware.DownloadAssistant.Generic without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.