Adware.Spigot is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a family of browser hijackers targeting both Windows and macOS systems.
Users of affected systems may find that their newtab page has changed and their default search engine is different from normal.
Type and source of infection
Adware.Spigot hijacks browsers so they can show the user advertisements. Its extensions are usually installed by users themselves due to aggressive and misleading advertising because they are promoted as useful additional search extensions for a specific subject (e.g., file converters).
Malwarebytes protects users from Adware.Spigot by using real-time protection.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Adware.Spigot without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.