Backdoor.Rustock is Malwarebytes detection name for a backdoor Trojan that was used to install the Rustock botnet client on affected systems.
Type and source of infection
Rustock was a very sophisticated botnet that specialized in spam. Rustock gained persistence by installing itself in the form of a rootkit, a category of malware that provides threat actors the means to remotely access to and gain full control of affected systems without users knowing. Backdoor.Rustock was often distributed via malicious attachments in phishing emails and even after a decade of inactivity we still find samples of the Backdoor now and then.
Malwarebytes blocks Backdoor.Rustock by using real-time protection.
Malwarebytes can remove Backdoor.Rustock for you if you decide that you want to get rid of it.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
How to remove Backdoor.Rustock with the Malwarebytes Nebula console
You can use the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Nebula console to scan endpoints.
Nebula endpoint tasks menu
Choose the Scan + Quarantine option. Afterwards you can check the Detections page to see which threats were found.