Hijack.FolderOptions is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a potentially unwanted modification that stops users from using the Folder Options dialog box on Windows systems.
The following registry value data are modified:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorerthis value is set to
NoFolderOptions=1This removes the Folder Options from all Windows Explorer menus and removes the Folder Options item from Control Panel.
Malwarebytes can modify these registry value data back to their Windows default settings without user interaction.Also, we advise users to do a full system scan as Hijack.FolderOptions could have been added to the system by malwareor PUP.
Add an exclusion
When Hijack.FolderOptions is detected on your computer, Malwarebytes for Windows does not know if it was authorized. Optimization software, malware, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) are known to make these types of changes, hence they are regarded as potentially unwanted.To have Malwarebytes for Windows ignore a Hijack, you must add the Hijack as an exclusion.
- When Hijack.FolderOptions in the list of Scan results.
- Uncheck the entry or entries related to Hijack.FolderOptions.
- Then click on Next.
- You will see a prompt giving you several options.
- Choosing Always ignorewill add Hijack.FolderOptions to the Allow List.
- You can remove them there when you decide they should no longer be ignored.
When a Hijack is excluded, Malwarebytes for Windows does not detect the Hijack during scans or real-time protection.