PUP.Optional.Imali is Malwarebytes’ generic detection name for a family of potentially unwanted programs PUPs targeting the Chrome browser. Their counterparts for Firefox generally have specific detection names.
and users of affected computers may have seen these warnings during install:
and notice a newtab page similar to this one:
Type and source of infection
Malwarebytes can detect and remove PUP.Optional.Imali without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
Malwarebytes removal log
A Malwarebytes log of removal will look similar to this:
Add an exclusion
Should users wish to keep this program and exclude it from being detected in future scans, they can add the program to the exclusions list. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
- Click the Detection History
- Click the Allow List
- To add an item to the Allow List, click Add.
- Select the exclusion type Allow a file or folder and use the Select a folder button to select the main folder for the software that you wish to keep.
- Repeat this for any secondary files or folder(s) that belong to the software.