PUP.Optional.Multiplug is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a type of browser hijacker that intercepts the connection between the browser and the Internet using “file-in-the-middle” tactics to push advertisements to the user. More modern versions of this threat are called Dotdo.
Type and source of infection
This potentially unwanted program (PUP)may also redirect browsers to different start pages and search browsers in order to monetize the user’s browsing.The most common method if infection by this threat is through bundledsoftware.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove PUP.Optional.Multiplug without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytesto your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exeand follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windowsinstallation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantineto remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
Add an exclusion
Should users wish to keep this program and exclude it from being detected in future scans, they can add the program to the exclusions list. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
- Click the Detection History
- Click the Allow List
- To add an item to the Allow List, click Add.
- Select the exclusion type Allow a file or folderand use the Select a folderbutton to select the main folder for the software that you wish to keep.
- Repeat this for any secondary files or folder(s) that belong to the software.
If you want to allow the program to connect to the Internet, for example to fetch updates, also add an exclusion of the type Allow an application to connect to the internet and use theBrowse button to select the file you wish to grant access.