PUP.Optional.SearchEngineHijack is Malwarebytes generic detection name for potentially unwanted programs that hijack the search queries on an affected browser.
Users will typically see search results not originating from the search provider they have chosen as their default search provider.
Type and source of infection
Search hijackers use different methods to get installed. In most cases they are browser extensions/add-ons that change the default search provider for the affected browser. Usually they are installed by the users themselves under false pretences.
Malwarebytes protects users by blocking acces to the domains that spread and promote these extensions.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove PUP.Optional.SearchEngineHijack without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.