PUP.Optional.Somoto is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a potentially unwanted program (PUP), more specifically a browser hijacker.
Source and type of infection
PUP.Optional.Somoto installs itself as a browser helper object (IE) or browser extension (Chrome, Firefox). Some also categorize PUP.Optional.Somoto as adware. It is difficult to remove as it uses a form of locking mechanism, which prevents itself from being fully uninstalled from an infected system through traditional means.PUP.Optional.Somoto comes bundled with other programs. It can be downloaded with software hosted on third-party software providers.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove PUP.Optional.Somoto without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytesto your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exeand follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windowsinstallation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantineto remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
Add an exclusion
Should users wish to keep this program and exclude it from being detected in future scans, they can add the program to the exclusions list. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
- Click the Detection History
- Click the Allow List
- To add an item to the Allow List, click Add.
- Select the exclusion type Allow a file or folderand use the Select a folderbutton to select the main folder for the software that you wish to keep.
- Repeat this for any secondary files or folder(s) that belong to the software.