PUP.Optional.YouTubeDownloader is Malwarebytes' detection name for potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) that display advertisements and promise to enable users to download YouTube clips.
Type and source of infection
PUP.Optional.YouTubeDownloader behaves like adware in that it shows advertisements not originating from the websites you are browsing.
PUP.Optional.YouTubeDownloader is offered for download at many "free software" download sites.
Malwarebytes blocks PUP.Optional.YouTubeDownloader
Malwarebytes can detect and remove PUP.Optional.YouTubeDownloader without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
How to remove PUP.Optional.YouTubeDownloader with the Malwarebytes Nebula console
You can use the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Nebula console to scan endpoints.
Nebula endpoint tasks menu
Choose the Scan + Quarantine option. Afterwards you can check the Detections page
to see which threats were found.
On the Quarantine page
you can see which threats were quarantined and restore them if necessary.
Add an exclusion
Should users wish to keep this program and exclude it from being detected in future scans, they can add the program to the exclusions list. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Malwarebytes for Windows.
- Click the Detection History
- Click the Allow List
- To add an item to the Allow List, click Add.
- Select the exclusion type Allow a file or folder and use the Select a folder button to select the main folder for the software that you wish to keep.
- Repeat this for any secondary files or folder(s) that belong to the software.
If you want to allow the program to connect to the Internet, for example to fetch updates, also add an exclusion of the type Allow an application to connect to the internet
and use the Browse
button to select the file you wish to grant access.