Trojan.CobaltStrike is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a penetration testing tool which is also used a lot by cyber criminals.
Type and source of the infection
Trojan.CobaltStrike is a paid penetration testing product that allows an attacker to deploy an agent named ‘Beacon’ on the victim machine. Many cybercriminals that operate malware use the Cobalt Strike tool to drop multiple payloads after compromising a network.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Trojan.CobaltStrike without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
How to remove Trojan.CobaltStrike with the Malwarebytes Nebula console
You can use the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Nebula console to scan endpoints.
Nebula endpoint tasks menu
Choose the Scan + Quarantine option. Afterwards you can check the Detections page to see which threats were found.
On the Quarantine page you can see which threats were quarantined and restore them if necessary.