What is malware?
Malware is an umbrella term for any form of “malicious software,” including viruses, spyware, and ransomware. There are also a number of ways to get infected with malware, like phishing emails, Trojans, and hacking attempts. Either way, once malware is on your device, it might steal your identity, install unwanted programs, or hold your files for ransom.
How does Malwarebytes Premium protect me against cyberthreats?
- Stops malware, adware, and other online threats with multiple layers of security, including real-time protection
- Warns you when you accidentally visit malicious or fraudulent websites that contain threats like phishing scams, tech support scams, and malicious advertising
- Identifies and removes existing infections with a quick, comprehensive scan of your device
Will using Malwarebytes slow down my device?
- Malwarebytes keeps your device running fast, without the hassle
- Runs in the background 24/7 with minimal impact on performance so you can stay safe without slowing down your computer or fiddling with your security software
- Uses simple controls that make it easy to customize your security
- Improves performance by removing potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) that make your computer run poorly and disrupt your online experience
How is Malwarebytes different from traditional antivirus software?
- Malwarebytes does what traditional PC and Mac antivirus programs can't, like detect emerging threats
- Uses artificial intelligence to identify emerging threats so you're safe from threats the moment they come out
- Protects you from advanced ransomware infections that encrypt your files and force you to pay to get them back
- Removes all traces of malware on your device so you can be sure your device is clean
How do I know if I'm infected with malware?
Look for issues characteristics of a malware infection:
- Does your web browser freeze or become unresponsive?
- Do you get redirected to web pages other than the ones you are trying to visit?
- Are you bombarded with pop-up messages?
- Does your computer run slower than usual?
- Do you see new icons on your desktop that you don't recognize?
Okay, I'm infected with malware. What do I do now?
- Remove CDs and DVDs and unplug drives from your computer. Restart in Safe Mode.
- Download a proven malware scanner such as Malwarebytes Premium.
- Disconnect from the Internet, then run a scan.
- Follow Malwarebytes Premium's instructions to remove any malware.
- Restart your computer.
- Update your operating system, browser, and applications if not current.
- Reset all of your passwords.