Trojan.IStartSurf is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a family of adware and hijacker bundlers.
Users of affected systems may see unwanted advertising not originating from the sites they are visiting or their browser opening with a startpage that they did not set themselves.
Type and source of infection
Trojan.IStartSurf is a bundler, The term bundler usually refers to a single installation file containing two or more programs. Many bundlers are found on freeware download sites. The Trojan.IStartSurf bundlers sometimes include other Trojans that protect the adware components against removal.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Trojan.IStartSurf without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get startedbutton.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
How to remove Trojan.IStartSurf with the Malwarebytes Nebula console
You can use the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Nebula console to scan endpoints.
Nebula endpoint tasks menu
Choose the Scan + Quarantine option. Afterwards you can check the Detections page to see which threats were found.
On the Quarantine page you can see which threats were quarantined and restore them if necessary.