Adware.Shlayer is Malwarebytes' detection name for a family of adware bundlers that target macOS systems.
Adware.Shlayer, like most adware, is software that displays unwanted advertising on your computer device.
Type and source of infection
Adware.Shlayer use shell scripts to install their adware payload. And they do this only once per installer, probably to hinder analysis. Even when run on a different machine an installer that has already been run will not drop the payload again.
Adware.Shlayer are typically distributed in the form of fake Adobe Flash Player installers.
Malwarebytes for Mac
will detect and remove the components of this malware.
- Download and install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Mac.
- Click the “Scan Now” button to perform a system scan.
- If threats are detected during the scan, a count of detected threats is displayed. More detailed threat information is displayed after the scan completes.
- Click “Confirm” to move the detected threats to Quarantaine.
- If a restart is required to complete remediation of threats detected during a scan, you will be notified. When a restart is required, please remember to save all work before clicking “Restart”.