Android/Monitor is Malwarebytes category name for apps that have the ability to monitor user activity, location, browser history, or employ other surveillance techniques, targeting Android devices.
Many apps that fall under Android/Monitor do not reveal their presence to the user of the device.
Type and source of infection
Apps in the category Android/Monitor are typically installed by someone else than the user of the device to keep track of certain activities. The apps are sometimes advertised as parental control apps but they all do some kind of tracking. Sometimes also referred to as stalkerware these apps can relay this information:
- Exact geographic location via GPS
- IP address of device
- SMS message history
- Call history, including call length
- Browser history
- Contacts, including phone numbers and email addresses
- Email account credentials
- Email content from all accounts accessed from device
- Photos, videos, and audio recorded and stored on the device or connected cloud account
- Can take pictures with front/rear camera
- Can record audio via device mic
- Can remotely turn on and off device
Not many apps can do all of the above but some combine several of these features.
By having this type of app on your device another person can keep track of your whereabouts, behavior and other activities, which may lead to undesirable consequences.
Sometimes, but not always, these apps can be uninstalled using the mobile devices uninstall functionality, but these apps can be listed under another name. That is where Malwarebytes for Android can help you, by identifying these apps and removing them.