PUM.Optional.Userinit is Malwarebytes detection name for a potentially unwanted modification in the Windows registry that could provide a startup location for malware.
A filename would be added to the following registry value data to gain persistence:
a change would be made to the value:
Files called from this location will be triggered shortly before the logon screen.
Malwarebytes can modify this registry value data back to its Windows default setting without user interaction.
Add an exclusion
When a Potentially Unwanted Modification (PUM) is detected on your computer, Malwarebytes for Windows does not know whether it was authorized. Optimization software, malware, and Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) are known to make these types of changes, hence they are regarded as potentially unwanted by design. To have Malwarebytes for Windows ignore a PUM, you must add the PUM to the Allow list. Here’s how to do it.
- When a PUM appears in the list of Scan results.
- Uncheck the entry or entries related to the PUM.
- Then click on Next.
- You will see a prompt giving you several options.
- Choosing Always ignore will add the PUM to the Allow List.
- You can remove them there when you decide they should no longer be ignored.
- When the PUM is on the Allow list it will no longer show up in your Scan results.