Malwarebytes uses the detection name Worm for a category of Trojans that are capable of propagating or replicating themselves from one system to another. To learn more about worms, read our related blog content.
Type and source of infection
After arriving and executing on a target system, worms can perform a number of malicious tasks, such as dropping other malware, copying themselves onto devices physically attached to the affected system, deleting files, and consuming bandwidth. Worms can infect systems coming from connected systems or devices.
Malwarebytes protects users from worm infections by using real-time protection.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove worms without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
It is important to identify the source of the infection as it may be able to re-infect the cleaned system. And check all the systems and devices that were connected during the time of the infection.