Backdoor.Remcos is Malwarebytes' detection name for a family of Backdoor Trojans that allow remote access and control over the affected system.
Type and source of the infection
Backdoor.Remcos is a Remote Administration Tool (RAT).
Backdoor.Remcos can arrive as a malicious email attachment or be downloaded by other malware.
Backdoor.Remcos gives the threat actor full control over the infected system and allows them to run keyloggers and surveillance (audio + screenshots) mode. This means:
- Data/information about the system may have been stolen
- User credentials may have been stolen
- Digital coins may have been stolen
- Affected system may be susceptible to further attacks and/or infection due to a backdoor that was opened
Malwarebytes blocks Backdoor.Remcos
Malwarebytes can detect and remove Backdoor.Remcos without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
How to remove Backdoor.Remcos with the Malwarebytes Nebula console
You can use the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Nebula console to scan endpoints.
Nebula endpoint tasks menu
Choose the Scan + Quarantine option. Afterwards you can check the Detections page
to see which threats were found.
On the Quarantine page
you can see which threats were quarantined and restore them if necessary.