PUP.Optional.Outbyte is Malwarebytes’ detection name for a family of potentially unwanted programs aimed at Windows machines. These programs ask money for services that are of no value or already included in Windows, for example defragmentation, driver updates, and registry cleaners.
Type and source of infection
These potentially unwanted programs are often installed by users themselves, that are looking for a problem with their computer. An initial scan usually shows a host of problems, but you are told you will need the paid version to fix all those problems.
Malwarebytes protects users against PUP.Optional.Outbyte by using real-time protection. Which gives users a chance to decide whether they want to keep on using the software.
Malwarebytes can detect and remove PUP.Optional.Outbyte without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get started button.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
How to remove PUP.Optional.Outbyte with the Malwarebytes Nebula console
You can use the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Nebula console to scan endpoints.
Nebula endpoint tasks menu
Choose the Scan + Quarantine option. Afterwards you can check the Detections page to see which threats were found.On the Quarantine page you can see which threats were quarantined and restore them if necessary.