Trojan.SmokeLoader is Malwarebytes' detection name for a large family of backdoor Trojans used to drop many types of other malware.
Trojan.SmokeLoader gains persistence by using a multitude of methods:
- scheduled tasks
- registry entries
- the startup folder
- replacing legitimate files
Type and source of infection
Trojan.SmokeLoader is a Trojan that can be used to drop other malware on an infected systems, but operators can choose additional modules that allow for information stealing capapbilities.
Trojan.SmokeLoader can be distributed by exploit kits, in email campaigns, and by being offered as legiitmate applications.
Trojan.SmokeLoader has been seen to drop other backdoors, ransomware, cryptominers, password stealers, Point-of-Sale (PoS) malware, and banking Trojans.
Malwarebytes blocks Trojan.SmokeLoader
Malwarebytes can detect and remove many Trojan.SmokeLoader infections without further user interaction.
- Please download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
- Double-click MBSetup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
- When your Malwarebytes for Windows installation completes, the program opens to the Welcome to Malwarebytes screen.
- Click on the Get startedbutton.
- Click Scan to start a Threat Scan.
- Click Quarantine to remove the found threats.
- Reboot the system if prompted to complete the removal process.
How to remove Trojan.SmokeLoader with the Malwarebytes Nebula console
You can use the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Nebula console to scan endpoints.
Nebula endpoint tasks menu
Choose the Scan + Quarantine option. Afterwards you can check the Detections page
to see which threats were found.
On the Quarantine page
you can see which threats were quarantined and restore them if necessary.